MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they recovered a loaded handgun and a sword while attempting to prevent gang-related violence early Sunday morning.
The Madison Police Department's Crime Prevention and Gang Unit learned about possible trouble at a social gathering in the 1500 block of Trailsway, where a party was being held.
Officers saw a car and a stolen SUV leave the area at about 1:48 a.m., according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
Police said they stopped both vehicles, and the driver of the SUV, a 17-year-old Madison man, was arrested on a charge of operating a stolen vehicle.
Police said there were five men in the car, and all of them were arrested on charges of unlawful trespass at the Trailsway address.
Police said they found a handgun and a 15-18-inch Japanese-style sword under the driver's seat.
Madison police said the investigation is active and ongoing.
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire