MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they recovered a loaded handgun and a sword while attempting to prevent gang-related violence early Sunday morning.
The Madison Police Department's Crime Prevention and Gang Unit learned about possible trouble at a social gathering in the 1500 block of Trailsway, where a party was being held.
Officers saw a car and a stolen SUV leave the area at about 1:48 a.m., according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
Police said they stopped both vehicles, and the driver of the SUV, a 17-year-old Madison man, was arrested on a charge of operating a stolen vehicle.
Police said there were five men in the car, and all of them were arrested on charges of unlawful trespass at the Trailsway address.
Police said they found a handgun and a 15-18-inch Japanese-style sword under the driver's seat.
Madison police said the investigation is active and ongoing.
- Bullets hit 2 apartment buildings, police say
- Wisconsin faces construction worker shortage as home building projects increase
- Prosecutor says no water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Extra patrols added for spring party
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom