MADISON, Wis. - The front-seat passenger in a moving car was able to stop the car after the driver went unconscious from a suspected heroin overdose, according to Madison police.
Police said the passenger was able to put the car into park, grinding the gears but stopping the vehicle on Acewood Boulevard near Cottage Grove Road Friday afternoon.
The passenger pulled Okoto A. U. Torti, 41, of Madison, to a grassy area and paramedics treated him for the effects of a heroin overdose, police said.
Torti was cited on suspicion of operating while intoxicated, possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia, operating after suspension, non-registration of an auto and failure to transfer vehicle title.Madison crime map
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK