MADISON, Wis. - The front-seat passenger in a moving car was able to stop the car after the driver went unconscious from a suspected heroin overdose, according to Madison police.
Police said the passenger was able to put the car into park, grinding the gears but stopping the vehicle on Acewood Boulevard near Cottage Grove Road Friday afternoon.
The passenger pulled Okoto A. U. Torti, 41, of Madison, to a grassy area and paramedics treated him for the effects of a heroin overdose, police said.
Torti was cited on suspicion of operating while intoxicated, possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia, operating after suspension, non-registration of an auto and failure to transfer vehicle title.Madison crime map
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs
- Warmer weather creates bumpy ride for drivers
- 3 teens arrested in connection to several vandalism cases
- UW-Whitewater lowers flag for student killed in crash