MADISON, Wis. - An off-duty Madison police officer struggled with a shoplifter and pinned him to the ground after seeing him push past a security officer, according to police.
The off-duty lieutenant said he was shopping with his daughter at the Walmart at 4198 Nakoosa Trail Saturday afternoon when he noticed the suspected shoplifter.
He said he identified himself as a police officer, but the shoplifter didn't stop. There was a brief struggle before the men landed on the floor in the store's vestibule.
The officer injured his nose during the struggle, and other officers arrived while the off-duty officer still had the man pinned to the floor.
Brandon H. Kinsey, 23, of Madison, was arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct and retail theft. Police said he stole ammunition for a BB gun and an Airsoft gun.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth