A Beloit mother is facing two counts of misdemeanor child neglect after leaving her two young children alone in a Walmart parking lot.
Beloit police spokesman Capt. Dan Risse told WISC-TV 23-year-old Codi Davis was arrested after officers found an 18-month-old and 5-year-old in her car alone around 7:30 p.m. Monday.
"The weather at the time this happened was 12 degrees below zero with a wind child of 34 below zero," Risse said.
Risse said an unidentified man flagged an officer down patrolling the store's parking lot, saying two children were in a vehicle alone and the vehicle was not running. The officer tried to get the two children, ages 18 months and 5 years old to open the door, but they wouldn't.
"They were dressed in winter coats and hats and gloves, but they were not attended and the vehicle was locked and not running," Risse said. "He was trying to coax the 5-year-old into opening up the door when the mom came to where they were."
Risse said the officer requested a door opening kit, but before it arrived Davis came out and opened the door. EMTs checked the children who were in good condition.
Child Protective Services was notified after the incident, and Risse said the children have been released to their grandmother and Davis will not be allowed to have contact while an investigation begins.
Davis will appear in court on the charges on Feb. 11 at 10 a.m.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say