MADISON, Wis. - Madison police say a missing Kaukauna man may have fallen into open water on Lake Monona.
Charles Geurts, 26, has been missing in Madison for a week. He was in town to attend a conference for work and was last seen leaving a hotel Jan. 16.
South District Capt. Joe Balles told the Wisconsin State Journal a police dog found Geurts' scent where a man believed to be Geurts knocked on the patio door of a home about a half-hour after leaving the hotel.
Balles said the Dane County sheriff's office searched the lake but didn't find any evidence Geurts had fallen through the ice or entered open water
Police suspended their search Saturday night after nearly 50 family members and friends of Geurts spent the day distributing fliers.
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- Man sentenced in heroin overdose death
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick
- MFD: 1 suffers minor injury in rollover crash on John Nolen Drive