MADISON, Wis. - Madison police say a missing Kaukauna man may have fallen into open water on Lake Monona.
Charles Geurts, 26, has been missing in Madison for a week. He was in town to attend a conference for work and was last seen leaving a hotel Jan. 16.
South District Capt. Joe Balles told the Wisconsin State Journal a police dog found Geurts' scent where a man believed to be Geurts knocked on the patio door of a home about a half-hour after leaving the hotel.
Balles said the Dane County sheriff's office searched the lake but didn't find any evidence Geurts had fallen through the ice or entered open water
Police suspended their search Saturday night after nearly 50 family members and friends of Geurts spent the day distributing fliers.
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms