MADISON, Wis. - Police have arrested a man who allegedly threatened the Wisconsin state Capitol on his Facebook page and then told officers he had a molotov cocktail in his backpack after entering the building.
The arrest occurred Tuesday afternoon, just hours before Gov. Scott Walker was scheduled to deliver his State of the State speech to lawmakers at the Capitol.
Police closed one entrance and evacuated a portion of the building as they investigated the contents of the Kvon R. Smith's backpack outside.
The governor's administration released a statement saying Smith is in custody and charges are pending.
The release said Capitol police received information about the Facebook threat and then identified the suspect after he entered the building.18142268
No injuries were reported.
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River