MADISON, Wis. - A 22-year-old man led police on a chase through the University of Wisconsin campus Tuesday night, leading to a crash and an injured officer, according to UW police.
Officers said they tried to stop Neil Veitch, of Verona, near Randall Avenue and Dayton Street for erratic driving when he took off driving 40-50 mph in the university area.
Veitch crashed his car into a light pole on Campus Drive, fled on foot and was caught a short time later, according to police. He suffered minor injuries and was hospitalized.
An officer was also injured and treated for minor injuries at UW Hospital and released.
Police said they found drugs in Veitch's car and found that he was involved in a hit-and-run in Madison earlier in the evening. The drugs included mushrooms, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamine, according to police.
Once released from the hospital, Veitch will be arrested on suspicion of operating while intoxicated, eluding police and possession with intent to deliver.
Video below is from Campus Drive after the crash.
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two
- Two seriously injured in pickup vs. semi crash
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands