MADISON, Wis. - Firefighters removed a man from the roof of a downtown church Saturday morning, officials said.
Richard S. Thomas, 25, of Madison, was seen on top of Grace Episcopal Church at 116 W. Washington Ave. around 6:45 a.m., according to a release. People in the area were afraid he would fall and be seriously injured.
Firefighters extended an aerial ladder to the roof and safely lowered Thomas to the ground, officials said.
It was not immediately clear what motivated Thomas to climb up on the roof, officials said. But Thomas told police he climbed the church's steeple because "he could and because it's there."
Thomas was arrested on charges of trespassing and disorderly conduct.
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say
- State Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- State dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Madison man claims $50,000 lottery prize
- Consumer Reports: How to ease stress of moving
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field