MADISON, Wis. - Firefighters removed a man from the roof of a downtown church Saturday morning, officials said.
Richard S. Thomas, 25, of Madison, was seen on top of Grace Episcopal Church at 116 W. Washington Ave. around 6:45 a.m., according to a release. People in the area were afraid he would fall and be seriously injured.
Firefighters extended an aerial ladder to the roof and safely lowered Thomas to the ground, officials said.
It was not immediately clear what motivated Thomas to climb up on the roof, officials said. But Thomas told police he climbed the church's steeple because "he could and because it's there."
Thomas was arrested on charges of trespassing and disorderly conduct.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land