SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - A stolen hunting rifle has now been found in Sun Prairie.
The owner of the rifle reported it stolen from his or her vehicle just after 2 p.m. Monday. Sun Prairie police said the owner was chasing three suspects when the theft was reported on the 400 block of South Bird Street.
During the search, police said nearby Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School and Prairie Phoenix Academy were placed in precautionary lockdown for 15 minutes. However, students and faculty were not in danger, said police.
Officers searched the area and located the hunting rifle in the exterior stairwell of an apartment building. Sun Prairie police have identified suspects and the theft remains under investigation.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says