SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - A stolen hunting rifle has now been found in Sun Prairie.
The owner of the rifle reported it stolen from his or her vehicle just after 2 p.m. Monday. Sun Prairie police said the owner was chasing three suspects when the theft was reported on the 400 block of South Bird Street.
During the search, police said nearby Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School and Prairie Phoenix Academy were placed in precautionary lockdown for 15 minutes. However, students and faculty were not in danger, said police.
Officers searched the area and located the hunting rifle in the exterior stairwell of an apartment building. Sun Prairie police have identified suspects and the theft remains under investigation.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls