MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they arrested a 42-year-old woman on a charge of fifth offense operating while intoxicated after she crashed into a light pole Sunday night on the city's far west side.
Police said Heather L. Sipek, of Madison, was driving drunk when she drove into a light pole in the 7800 block of Watts Road about 11:55 p.m.
The SUV she was driving was found lodged in a snowbank in the median of the road with both of its airbags deployed, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
Police said the light pole had been knocked over.
The suspect and a male companion were found by a Dane County sheriff's deputy walking on Commerce Drive, according to the incident report.
Police said the man claimed neither of them had been driving, but the woman eventually admitted she had been behind the wheel.
Police said the man was released after being cited for failure to report a crash and obstructing, because of his false statements.
Sipek was arrested on charges of fifth offense OWI and hit-and-run and was taken to jail, according to the report.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say