MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said they arrested a 42-year-old woman on a charge of fifth offense operating while intoxicated after she crashed into a light pole Sunday night on the city's far west side.
Police said Heather L. Sipek, of Madison, was driving drunk when she drove into a light pole in the 7800 block of Watts Road about 11:55 p.m.
The SUV she was driving was found lodged in a snowbank in the median of the road with both of its airbags deployed, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
Police said the light pole had been knocked over.
The suspect and a male companion were found by a Dane County sheriff's deputy walking on Commerce Drive, according to the incident report.
Police said the man claimed neither of them had been driving, but the woman eventually admitted she had been behind the wheel.
Police said the man was released after being cited for failure to report a crash and obstructing, because of his false statements.
Sipek was arrested on charges of fifth offense OWI and hit-and-run and was taken to jail, according to the report.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry