MADISON, Wis. - A Poynette man was arrested after crashing inside the Overture Center parking garage, according to a release from Madison police.
Police said a firefighter at Station 1 watched as a frustrated driver failed to get an exit gate to rise at a parking structure on West Mifflin Street near the fire station Wednesday night. The driver, Andrew J. Sullivan, 31, rapidly backed up, jumped a curb and scraped a concrete pillar before hitting a parked car, according to the report.
The firefighter told police Sullivan continued backing up and an oncoming van had to honk to avoid a possible collision.
The firefighter got Sullivan to hand over his keys and he parked his truck. Police were called as they walked to the fire station.
Sullivan said he was going to use a portable toilet at a nearby construction site and officers arriving at the scene couldn't find him in the bathroom. Police called a police dog and made loud announcements believing Sullivan wandered into the construction site. Sullivan came out before a search was started, police said.
Sullivan was arrested on suspicion of hit-and-run, reckless driving endangering safety and third-offense operating while intoxicated.Madison crime map
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program