MADISON, Wis. - A Poynette man was arrested after crashing inside the Overture Center parking garage, according to a release from Madison police.
Police said a firefighter at Station 1 watched as a frustrated driver failed to get an exit gate to rise at a parking structure on West Mifflin Street near the fire station Wednesday night. The driver, Andrew J. Sullivan, 31, rapidly backed up, jumped a curb and scraped a concrete pillar before hitting a parked car, according to the report.
The firefighter told police Sullivan continued backing up and an oncoming van had to honk to avoid a possible collision.
The firefighter got Sullivan to hand over his keys and he parked his truck. Police were called as they walked to the fire station.
Sullivan said he was going to use a portable toilet at a nearby construction site and officers arriving at the scene couldn't find him in the bathroom. Police called a police dog and made loud announcements believing Sullivan wandered into the construction site. Sullivan came out before a search was started, police said.
Sullivan was arrested on suspicion of hit-and-run, reckless driving endangering safety and third-offense operating while intoxicated.Madison crime map
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need