TOWN OF IXONIA, Wis. - Jefferson County sheriff's deputies are conducting a death investigation near the town of Ixonia, according to a release.
Deputies responded to reports of a body in a cornfield in the area of North Road six-tenths of a mile south of County Trunk Highway CW around 12:20 p.m. on Saturday, officials said. A passerby driving in a vehicle reported seeing something out of the ordinary a short distance off the road. After the driver investigated the object and discovered a body, the driver called police.
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office investigators and the state's Department of Criminal Investigation are assisting in the death investigation, according to the release. An autopsy has been requested.
Jefferson County officials have notified other law enforcement agencies of the ongoing death investigation to assist in obtaining any leads or information on missing persons that may help identify the woman, officials said.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say