MADISON, Wis. - Madison police drew their guns on a driver early Wednesday morning after they said he was driving erratically.
Witnesses told police a driver was driving recklessly in a red Ford SUV on Old University Avenue. Police also received reports of a gun firing in the Hollister Avenue area at around 1:30 a.m.
Police located the SUV in the Whitney Way and Odana Road area. Police said officers conducted a high-risk stop in the 5800 block of Raymond Road.
The SUV struck an unoccupied vehicle while being pulled over. Police officers drew their guns and commands were given to all three occupants in the vehicle to show their hands to police.
Driver Lavert Matthews, 23, was arrested on charges of reckless endangerment, carrying a concealed weapon, receiving stolen property and manufacturing and delivering THC.
Officers found a handgun underneath a seat in the SUV, ammunition and marijuana.
Police also found enough evidence that at least one gunshot was fired in the Hollister Avenue area.
A 22-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were also in the vehicle, but they were not arrested.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn