MADISON, Wis. - A single-car crash early Saturday morning killed one man and significantly injured a woman, Madison police said.
The driver of the car was arrested on suspicion of intoxicated use of a vehicle.
Police said a car going west on Odana Road just before 5:30 a.m. went off the road and struck a tree.
Two passengers, Richie R. Christie, 21, of Waukesha, and a 20-year-old woman with addresses in Madison and DeForest, were transported to a hospital with significant injuries, police said.
Christie survived a short time before dying at a hospital, according to a Madison Police Department incident report. A forensic autopsy is scheduled.
The woman remains hospitalized with serious head injuries.
The driver, Lawrence Montgomery, 21, of Madison, was also transported to the hospital and arrested on suspicion of intoxicated use of a vehicle and operating after revocation.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.
"(Montgomery) has a couple of priors for operating while under the influence and now he has been picked up for a homicide while driving intoxicated. At this point we have a traffic investigator who is still working on this case so more of the details may be known after that investigation is complete," said Joel DeSpain, Madison Police Department spokesman.
According to court records, Montgomery was convicted of his second OWI charge in February.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn