MILTON, Wis. - A Milton man is getting praise after reporting a residential fire and fighting it with a garden hose.
Milton police said the fire in the 900 block of Nelson Avenue was reported on Thursday at about 3 p.m.
Edward Berlanga, 22, said he saw smoke and flames while driving on North Janesville Street.
Police said Berlanga knocked on the door and shouted into the house to alert anyone inside, then grabbed a garden hose to put out flames on the second story. Berlanga was spraying the deck as officers arrived.
Berlanga told News3 his family lost their home to a fire previously and a friend's mother was killed in a house fire, so he acted quickly to help put out the blaze.
Police finished putting out the smoldering areas of the deck before firefighters arrived.
A man in the residence emerged after emergency personnel arrived and the fire was out, according to police.VIDEO: Police commend man for fighting fire with garden hose
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say
- State Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- State dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Madison man claims $50,000 lottery prize
- Consumer Reports: How to ease stress of moving
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field