BELOIT, Wis. - Citizens gave chase and helped police capture an attempted armed robbery suspect in downtown Beloit Tuesday morning, according to police.
Investigators said a woman in her 30s was on her way home from work at 7:30 a.m. and making a deposit at First National Bank at 345 E. Grand Ave. when a man with a handgun approached her. The woman screamed and the man fled without taking anything.
Police said there were employees inside the bank at the time and other witnesses in the area.
The man ran down a path near the Rock River and citizens in the area chased him. They told police they could see that he had a handgun.
The man ran two blocks and turned toward Beloit College. An officer took him into custody in the 600 block of Church Street and recovered a handgun, according to police.
Police said Jordan Betker, 22, of Beloit, was arrested on suspicion of attempted armed robbery. Betker was taken to Rock County Jail.
Beloit police said the victim was not injured and there was no property lost.
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall