MADISON, Wis. - An 18-year-old was arrested Wednesday in connection to a Christmas Day cellphone theft thanks to surveillance footage, police said.
Quincy R. Thompson, of Madison, allegedly took a cashier's smartphone as she was checking people out at the Family Dollar at 2825 E. Washington Ave. around 10:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, according to a release.
The 22-year-old cashier put her phone on a shelf near where she was working and did not realize it was gone until she went to retrieve it, police said.
According to the release, the theft was captured on surveillance, and police were able to put a name with a face.
Thompson originally denied being involved when talking with police but didn't have a comment after an officer told him there was surveillance video of the theft, officials said.Madison crime map
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes