MADISON, Wis. - An 18-year-old was arrested Wednesday in connection to a Christmas Day cellphone theft thanks to surveillance footage, police said.
Quincy R. Thompson, of Madison, allegedly took a cashier's smartphone as she was checking people out at the Family Dollar at 2825 E. Washington Ave. around 10:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, according to a release.
The 22-year-old cashier put her phone on a shelf near where she was working and did not realize it was gone until she went to retrieve it, police said.
According to the release, the theft was captured on surveillance, and police were able to put a name with a face.
Thompson originally denied being involved when talking with police but didn't have a comment after an officer told him there was surveillance video of the theft, officials said.Madison crime map
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral