CALAMUS TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A Cambria man was charged in Dodge County Circuit Court Wednesday on eight misdemeanor counts in connection with a fatal mobile home fire Saturday in the Town of Calamus.
Jose J. Hernandez, 21, was taken into custody after the fire this weekend at N7253 Forest Road in the Maple Grove Trailer Court that killed 18-year-old Victor Manuel Aguilar-Bustamante.
According to the criminal complaint, Hernandez went to the mobile home to retrieve a car but it was locked. He forcibly entered the trailer, beat Aguilar-Bustamante and took the car keys, the complaint stated. Police believe he later lit matches to look for his cellphone and threw the burned out matches on the floor.
Hernandez was charged on suspicion of disorderly conduct, two counts of criminal damage to property, two counts of criminal trespass, misdemeanor battery, negligent handling of burning material and misdemeanor theft.
Aguilar-Bustamante died of carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said.
In a news release Wednesday, the Dodge County Sheriff's Department said the investigation is ongoing in conjunction with the fire marshal, DCI, and the Dodge County Medical Examiner. Additional charges could be requested as new information becomes available, the sheriff said.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns