MADISON, Wis. - Police have arrested three suspects in the assault on Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.
Ball sustained a concussion when he was attacked by several men near campus Aug. 1.
A police report said three 21-year-old Madison men were arrested Tuesday afternoon. They were all arrested on charges of party to the crime of substantial battery.
Police identified the suspects as Wendell J. Venerable, Deonte J. Wilson and Robert A. Wilks.
All three are University of Wisconsin-Madison students, WISC-TV reported.
The police report also said detectives are still investigating a fight at a house party July 27 involving students, players and other individuals. While Ball was present, police found no evidence he was involved, according to the police report.
One person received hospital treatment for an injury suffered during the fight, but nobody has been charged so far.
Ball, a Heisman Trophy finalist last season as a junior, has said he had nothing to do with the fight. He hopes to be ready for the season opener.Police arrest 3 in assault on Wisconsin RB Ball
On Wilson's Facebook page, just before his arrest Tuesday, he had posted a status update. It read, in part, "I have been non-violent for well over a year now, yet they are trying to crucify me because somebody has to take the blame," WISC-TV reported.
There's no word yet on when the suspects are due in court.
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say