MADISON, Wis. - State Rep. Mark Pocan has won the Democratic primary for the 2nd Congressional District, which covers Madison and surrounding areas.
Pocan defeated three challengers in Tuesday's primary, including fellow state Rep. Kelda Helen Roys. He will face Republican Chad Lee in November's general election.
Pocan hopes to replace U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin. She decided to run for the U.S. Senate rather than seek an eighth straight term in the House.Pocan wins Democratic primary for Congress
Like Baldwin, Pocan is openly gay. He has championed greater rights for gays and women. He has also served as a co-chair of the Assembly's Joint Finance Committee, which he credits for giving him valuable experience in writing budgets.
The other two Democrats who lost were Madison attorney Matt Silverman and entrepreneur Dennis Hall.
- Two people shot at while in a car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'