MADISON, Wis. - State Rep. Mark Pocan has won the Democratic primary for the 2nd Congressional District, which covers Madison and surrounding areas.
Pocan defeated three challengers in Tuesday's primary, including fellow state Rep. Kelda Helen Roys. He will face Republican Chad Lee in November's general election.
Pocan hopes to replace U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin. She decided to run for the U.S. Senate rather than seek an eighth straight term in the House.Pocan wins Democratic primary for Congress
Like Baldwin, Pocan is openly gay. He has championed greater rights for gays and women. He has also served as a co-chair of the Assembly's Joint Finance Committee, which he credits for giving him valuable experience in writing budgets.
The other two Democrats who lost were Madison attorney Matt Silverman and entrepreneur Dennis Hall.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls