MADISON, Wis. - Democratic Congressman Mark Pocan wants his colleagues in Congress to extend unemployment benefits, and calls the lack of benefits an attack on the poor.
Pocan said failing to act will have a big impact in Wisconsin.
"Thirty-seven percent of people in Wisconsin are what you'd call long-term unemployed, that is over six months, so they're the very people that are going to be losing their benefits," Pocan said.
He said each week lawmakers don't act 1,600 people in Wisconsin lose benefits.
Pocan and a group of House Democrats are urging House Speaker John Boehner to schedule an emergency vote on an extension.
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI