MADISON, Wis. - Democratic Congressman Mark Pocan wants his colleagues in Congress to extend unemployment benefits, and calls the lack of benefits an attack on the poor.
Pocan said failing to act will have a big impact in Wisconsin.
"Thirty-seven percent of people in Wisconsin are what you'd call long-term unemployed, that is over six months, so they're the very people that are going to be losing their benefits," Pocan said.
He said each week lawmakers don't act 1,600 people in Wisconsin lose benefits.
Pocan and a group of House Democrats are urging House Speaker John Boehner to schedule an emergency vote on an extension.
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says