MADISON, Wis. - Democratic Congressman Mark Pocan wants his colleagues in Congress to extend unemployment benefits, and calls the lack of benefits an attack on the poor.
Pocan said failing to act will have a big impact in Wisconsin.
"Thirty-seven percent of people in Wisconsin are what you'd call long-term unemployed, that is over six months, so they're the very people that are going to be losing their benefits," Pocan said.
He said each week lawmakers don't act 1,600 people in Wisconsin lose benefits.
Pocan and a group of House Democrats are urging House Speaker John Boehner to schedule an emergency vote on an extension.
- No injuries reported in burst of afternoon gunfire in residential neighborhood
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'