MADISON, Wis. - Democratic Congressman Mark Pocan wants his colleagues in Congress to extend unemployment benefits, and calls the lack of benefits an attack on the poor.
Pocan said failing to act will have a big impact in Wisconsin.
"Thirty-seven percent of people in Wisconsin are what you'd call long-term unemployed, that is over six months, so they're the very people that are going to be losing their benefits," Pocan said.
He said each week lawmakers don't act 1,600 people in Wisconsin lose benefits.
Pocan and a group of House Democrats are urging House Speaker John Boehner to schedule an emergency vote on an extension.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls