Plans are moving forward to create a hiking and biking trail from Belle Isle park in Detroit to Ironwood on the Wisconsin boundary in the western Upper Peninsula.
The Detroit Free Press reports Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials plan to meet with trail organizations and community planners next month about details.
And on April 26, 45-year-old Chris Hillier of Taylor plans to start a months-long journey from Belle Isle along the proposed route.
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder made the proposal for the trail in November, saying he wanted Michigan to become the Trail State. The governor directed the Michigan DNR to work with private and nonprofit partners to make the full trail route a reality.
The project would require more than 200 miles of new trails.
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two