Plans are moving forward to create a hiking and biking trail from Belle Isle park in Detroit to Ironwood on the Wisconsin boundary in the western Upper Peninsula.
The Detroit Free Press reports Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials plan to meet with trail organizations and community planners next month about details.
And on April 26, 45-year-old Chris Hillier of Taylor plans to start a months-long journey from Belle Isle along the proposed route.
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder made the proposal for the trail in November, saying he wanted Michigan to become the Trail State. The governor directed the Michigan DNR to work with private and nonprofit partners to make the full trail route a reality.
The project would require more than 200 miles of new trails.
- Lack of sand for roads prompts Wisconsin Dells school closure, official says
- Mother, missing children could be in Black Hills
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash injures 3
- Man arrested on suspicion of 4th OWI
- Former president George H.W. Bush hospitalized
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later