WAUSAU, Wis. - A plane crash near the Wausau Downtown Airport has sent the pilot to the hospital.
Downtown Airport Manager John Chmiel told WAOW-TV the plane crashed outside the fenced-in area near the airport just before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The pilot was approaching the airport from the south. Chmiel said weather may have been a factor in the crash but it is still too early to tell.
The pilot was the only person on board. He was taken to Aspirus Hospital with unknown injuries.
The Federal Aviation Administration is expected on the scene to investigate.
Emergency workers removed part of the fence to get to the plane.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls