WAUSAU, Wis. - A plane crash near the Wausau Downtown Airport has sent the pilot to the hospital.
Downtown Airport Manager John Chmiel told WAOW-TV the plane crashed outside the fenced-in area near the airport just before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The pilot was approaching the airport from the south. Chmiel said weather may have been a factor in the crash but it is still too early to tell.
The pilot was the only person on board. He was taken to Aspirus Hospital with unknown injuries.
The Federal Aviation Administration is expected on the scene to investigate.
Emergency workers removed part of the fence to get to the plane.
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say