PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, Wis. - Police are warning residents of a phone scam that has been reported in the Prairie du Chien area.
Residents told police they are getting calls and the caller says their Microsoft software is out of date, and the caller needs access to the computer to fix it.
Once the person on the phone has access to the computers, the caller gathers personal information and uploads viruses onto the computer, according to the release. The scammers call back and ask the person to pay for the service.
Police ask anyone who gets a similar call to contact police and not give any information to the caller.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says