PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, Wis. - Police are warning residents of a phone scam that has been reported in the Prairie du Chien area.
Residents told police they are getting calls and the caller says their Microsoft software is out of date, and the caller needs access to the computer to fix it.
Once the person on the phone has access to the computers, the caller gathers personal information and uploads viruses onto the computer, according to the release. The scammers call back and ask the person to pay for the service.
Police ask anyone who gets a similar call to contact police and not give any information to the caller.
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls
- UW study uses video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors