HUSTISFORD, Wis. - Authorities at the scene of a house fire in Hustisford said they believe several animals from a traveling petting zoo died in the fire.
Fire crews said a house on Garfield Road, south of County Road R, was engulfed in flames when they arrived Friday morning. Numerous fire departments were called to the fire.
Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said one of the people who lived in the house operated a traveling petting zoo for children.
Several of the animals for the zoo were kept in the house and are believed to have died in the fire.
Fire officials said they suspect a wood burning appliance might have started the fire.
Nehls said damage to the house was quite serious, and it will be not be repairable.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry