MADISON, Wis. - Republican Jerry Petrowski has defeated Democrat Donna Seidel for an open Senate seat in Tuesday's recall elections.
Democrats upset with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's polarizing plan to strip most public workers of nearly all their union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four GOP senators, including Pam Galloway of Wausau, into recall elections this past winter. Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Galloway chose to resign rather than defend her seat. State election officials decided to continue with the election to fill her seat regardless.
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake
- Woman's purse taken while downtown; man arrested
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall