MADISON, Wis. - Republican Jerry Petrowski has defeated Democrat Donna Seidel for an open Senate seat in Tuesday's recall elections.
Democrats upset with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's polarizing plan to strip most public workers of nearly all their union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four GOP senators, including Pam Galloway of Wausau, into recall elections this past winter. Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Galloway chose to resign rather than defend her seat. State election officials decided to continue with the election to fill her seat regardless.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says