SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - A petition has been started to keep the Sun Prairie Fire Department as a volunteer agency.
The petition is on the website change.org and is directed towards the City's mayor and council.
Earlier Monday night, more than 125 people had signed it.
Last week the City Council voted to create a city-run department replacing their volunteer-run agency, which has been in operation for 122 years.
Those in favor of the change say the city has grown too big for a volunteer department.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls