ELLSWORTH, Wis. - Western Wisconsin sheriff's officials are investigating the death of a person whose remains were found in a burned vehicle.
According to a Pierce County sheriff's department statement, someone reported finding a burned vehicle in the Town of Trenton, about five miles from Ellsworth, at 8:20 a.m. Saturday.
The department said deputies found the vehicle in a farm yard where no one lived. They checked the interior and found human remains.
The vehicle was not on fire when officers found it.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office in Minnesota is expected to perform an autopsy to try to determine the person's identity.
- Police find 20 bullet casings in far east side park
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics
- Bill would limit influence of unions on public project bids
- Dane County inmate who was AWOL 10 days back in custody
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution