ELLSWORTH, Wis. - Western Wisconsin sheriff's officials are investigating the death of a person whose remains were found in a burned vehicle.
According to a Pierce County sheriff's department statement, someone reported finding a burned vehicle in the Town of Trenton, about five miles from Ellsworth, at 8:20 a.m. Saturday.
The department said deputies found the vehicle in a farm yard where no one lived. They checked the interior and found human remains.
The vehicle was not on fire when officers found it.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office in Minnesota is expected to perform an autopsy to try to determine the person's identity.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land