ELLSWORTH, Wis. - Western Wisconsin sheriff's officials are investigating the death of a person whose remains were found in a burned vehicle.
According to a Pierce County sheriff's department statement, someone reported finding a burned vehicle in the Town of Trenton, about five miles from Ellsworth, at 8:20 a.m. Saturday.
The department said deputies found the vehicle in a farm yard where no one lived. They checked the interior and found human remains.
The vehicle was not on fire when officers found it.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's office in Minnesota is expected to perform an autopsy to try to determine the person's identity.
- State DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Sun Prairie looks to revamp main corridor
- Zoo euthanizes polar bear that used to be in Madison
- Driver involved in crash suspected of heroin use
- Two people shot at while in car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested