COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. - A Deerfield woman was struck and killed by a semitrailer on a highway Monday morning.
Cottage Grove Police and Fire responded to a crash involving a pedestrian on state Highway 12/18 west of county Highway BN in the Town of Cottage Grove at about 11:50 a.m.
Cottage Grove Police Chief Chris Hughes said the early stages of the investigation indicate a 41-year-old woman parked her vehicle on the shoulder of the highway and was struck by a passing semitrailer.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a Cottage Grove Police Department news release.
Police said they are still trying to determine why the woman was in the traffic lane.
The driver of the semitrailer, a 22-year-old man from Brancroft, did not suffer any injuries.
Police said they aren't releasing any additional information at this time due to the ongoing investigation and the need to notify the woman's next of kin.
Police have called in the Dane County Sheriff's Reconstruction Unit and the Wisconsin State Patrol to assist in the investigation.
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors
- Papermaker agrees to complete Fox River cleanup
- Wine-and-tapas bar, gastropub open in Dane County airport
- Search of lake for human remains from plane crash ends
- Teenager 'going crazy with a knife' arrested
- PD: Drunk Mt. Horeb man jumps from moving car, runs into side of SUV