BENTON TOWNSHIP, Wis. - The superintendent of the Pecatonica School District died in a single-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon, according to a release.
The driver of the vehicle, Gary A. Neis, 54, of Benton, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release. There were no other occupants in his vehicle at the time of the crash.
Lafayette County officials say the crash happened on State Highway 11 near Horseshoe Bend Road in Benton Township at 2:41 p.m.
The preliminary investigation indicated a 2008 Volkswagon Beetle was being driven west on Highway 11 and was observed swerving to the right, according to the release.
Officials say the driver appeared to take corrective actions but the vehicle continued to move across the eastbound lane and then went off the south side of the roadway where it struck a tree and overturned.
The investigation of the crash is still ongoing.
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say