BENTON TOWNSHIP, Wis. - The superintendent of the Pecatonica School District died in a single-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon, according to a release.
The driver of the vehicle, Gary A. Neis, 54, of Benton, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release. There were no other occupants in his vehicle at the time of the crash.
Lafayette County officials say the crash happened on State Highway 11 near Horseshoe Bend Road in Benton Township at 2:41 p.m.
The preliminary investigation indicated a 2008 Volkswagon Beetle was being driven west on Highway 11 and was observed swerving to the right, according to the release.
Officials say the driver appeared to take corrective actions but the vehicle continued to move across the eastbound lane and then went off the south side of the roadway where it struck a tree and overturned.
The investigation of the crash is still ongoing.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say