BENTON TOWNSHIP, Wis. - The superintendent of the Pecatonica School District died in a single-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon, according to a release.
The driver of the vehicle, Gary A. Neis, 54, of Benton, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the release. There were no other occupants in his vehicle at the time of the crash.
Lafayette County officials say the crash happened on State Highway 11 near Horseshoe Bend Road in Benton Township at 2:41 p.m.
The preliminary investigation indicated a 2008 Volkswagon Beetle was being driven west on Highway 11 and was observed swerving to the right, according to the release.
Officials say the driver appeared to take corrective actions but the vehicle continued to move across the eastbound lane and then went off the south side of the roadway where it struck a tree and overturned.
The investigation of the crash is still ongoing.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land