WAUSAU, Wis. - A citizens' jail review panel has watched video showing a Marathon County Jail inmate attacking a corrections officer.
The panel watched the video for the first time Tuesday. It shows 20-year-old inmate Fredrick Morris striking corrections officer Julie Christensen in the head with his fist and knocking her to the floor of the jail's common area March 27. The blow sent Christensen to an intensive care unit.
The Marathon County Sheriff's Department released the video.
Daily Herald Media reported that corrections officers who were at the scene said they heard inmates chant "Hope she dies" after Morris punched Christensen. The video of the attack does not include audio.
Chief Deputy Chad Billeb said the video has resulted in fundamental changes in how the jail is run.
- Baldwin, other senators seek assurances from Trump pick for EPA
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowski traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say