MADISON, Wis. - A Republican who lost his state Senate seat in a 2012 recall election plans to announce Wednesday he will be running for the seat in 2014.
Van Wanggaard, of Racine, narrowly lost in the June 2012 recall election to Democrat John Lehman. Lehman's victory was the only Democratic win out of four Senate recalls last year, but it was enough to give Democrats a brief 17-16 majority.
When Wanggaard runs in 2014, the boundaries of the 21st Senate District will be different than in 2012. They were redrawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature and Lehman says they greatly favor Wanggaard.
Lehman lost to Wanggaard in the 2010 election. Lehman says he had been happily retired before the recall and does not know if he will run again in 2014.
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 reopens near Blue Mounds after semi vs. car crash
- Police: Family member found elderly woman dead in garage with head wound