MADISON, Wis. - A Republican who lost his state Senate seat in a 2012 recall election plans to announce Wednesday he will be running for the seat in 2014.
Van Wanggaard, of Racine, narrowly lost in the June 2012 recall election to Democrat John Lehman. Lehman's victory was the only Democratic win out of four Senate recalls last year, but it was enough to give Democrats a brief 17-16 majority.
When Wanggaard runs in 2014, the boundaries of the 21st Senate District will be different than in 2012. They were redrawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature and Lehman says they greatly favor Wanggaard.
Lehman lost to Wanggaard in the 2010 election. Lehman says he had been happily retired before the recall and does not know if he will run again in 2014.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls