MADISON, Wis. - A Republican who lost his state Senate seat in a 2012 recall election plans to announce Wednesday he will be running for the seat in 2014.
Van Wanggaard, of Racine, narrowly lost in the June 2012 recall election to Democrat John Lehman. Lehman's victory was the only Democratic win out of four Senate recalls last year, but it was enough to give Democrats a brief 17-16 majority.
When Wanggaard runs in 2014, the boundaries of the 21st Senate District will be different than in 2012. They were redrawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature and Lehman says they greatly favor Wanggaard.
Lehman lost to Wanggaard in the 2010 election. Lehman says he had been happily retired before the recall and does not know if he will run again in 2014.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth