DEFOREST, Wis. - One person is dead after a major crash shut down an area highway for several hours.
Police and emergency crews were called out just after 9:15 p.m. Tuesday to U.S. Highway 51 in Windsor Township.
The highway was completely closed at Vinburn Road until 12:45 a.m. Wednesday.
The Dane County Sheriff's office said a 33-year-old man was driving southbound in the northbound lanes when he crashed into two cars.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deputies said a 29-year-old woman and a 35-year-old woman were driving the other two vehicles. Both are recovering at area hospitals.
Deputies say speed and alcohol were factors in this crash.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry