DEFOREST, Wis. - One person is dead after a major crash shut down an area highway for several hours.
Police and emergency crews were called out just after 9:15 p.m. Tuesday to U.S. Highway 51 in Windsor Township.
The highway was completely closed at Vinburn Road until 12:45 a.m. Wednesday.
The Dane County Sheriff's office said a 33-year-old man was driving southbound in the northbound lanes when he crashed into two cars.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deputies said a 29-year-old woman and a 35-year-old woman were driving the other two vehicles. Both are recovering at area hospitals.
Deputies say speed and alcohol were factors in this crash.
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn
- WIAA board approves concussion insurance for student athletes
- Complaint: 14-year-old's father finds sexual assault suspect in closet