BAYFIELD, Wis. - An elderly dog depicted in a photo that gained widespread acclaim online has quietly turned 20.
The Duluth News Tribune reports the shepherd mix named Schoep spent a quiet birthday Saturday. He received more than 1,000 cards wishing him well.
Schoep and owner John Unger, of Bayfield, became Internet celebrities last summer because of Bayfield photographer Hannah Hudson's tender photograph of the pair in the soothing cool waters of Lake Superior. Hudson took it July 30 and posted it the next evening on Facebook. Within four days it had 1.8 million views.
Gifts and money poured in, enabling Unger to get the veterinary care needed for Schoep, who's arthritic, blind and hard of hearing.
Under says Schoep has good days and bad, but his condition has basically stayed the same.
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- MFD: 1 suffers minor injury in rollover crash on John Nolen Drive
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police