FITCHBURG, Wis. - Officials are searching for an inmate who removed his ankle-monitoring bracelet, the sheriff's office said.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said 25-year-old Jose Matias-Herrera, of Fitchburg, is considered absent without leave from sheriff's custody Saturday.
Matias-Herrera was serving a 120-day sentence for second-offense operating while intoxicated. He was part of the sheriff's office custody alternatives monitoring program.
According to a report, at 6:39 a.m., deputies received notification that the ankle bracelet worn by Matias-Herrera had been tampered with. Deputies immediately responded within minutes and found that Matias-Herrera had removed his monitor and left the area of Kapec Road and McKee Road in Fitchburg.
The sheriff's office said the area was searched extensively but officials didn't find Matias-Herrera. Detectives from the Dane County Sheriff's Office investigative services bureau will continue to investigate. Anyone with information on Matias-Herrera's whereabouts is asked to call 911.
- Madison police recommend charges in fatal Highway 30 crash
- Deputies: Dane County inmate goes AWOL
- Accidental Goodwill donation makes its way back to owner
- Crews sent to 3-car crash on East Washington Avenue
- Car accident on eastbound beltline backs up traffic
- Newly renovated Milton Public Library reopens