WAUSAU, Wis. - Marathon County sheriff's officials said human remains have been found in a home near Wausau that was destroyed by an explosion.
Sheriff's Lt. Ryan Weber said Friday investigators determined homemade bombs at the home were intentionally set. He said there were unexploded devices found in a vehicle and outbuilding on the property.
The home northeast of Wausau was destroyed by the explosion about 7 a.m. Thursday. In the hours after the explosion there was no word about the man who lived alone in the house. Neighbors in the rural subdivision were temporarily evacuated and returned to their home Thursday afternoon.
Explosive handlers removed the unexploded devices on the property before investigators began to search the collapsed one-story house.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend