WAUSAU, Wis. - Marathon County sheriff's officials said human remains have been found in a home near Wausau that was destroyed by an explosion.
Sheriff's Lt. Ryan Weber said Friday investigators determined homemade bombs at the home were intentionally set. He said there were unexploded devices found in a vehicle and outbuilding on the property.
The home northeast of Wausau was destroyed by the explosion about 7 a.m. Thursday. In the hours after the explosion there was no word about the man who lived alone in the house. Neighbors in the rural subdivision were temporarily evacuated and returned to their home Thursday afternoon.
Explosive handlers removed the unexploded devices on the property before investigators began to search the collapsed one-story house.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say