TOWN OF MADISON, Wis. - One driver died and the other was injured in a head-on crash on the Beltline early Saturday, police said.
Town of Madison police said officers and Dane County sheriff's deputies responded at 1:42 a.m. to a report of a crash on the eastbound Beltline near Todd Drive.
Witnesses told police a car was headed the wrong way on the east Beltline and hit a semi tractor-trailer head-on.
When first responders arrived, they found the driver of the car, 40-year-old Timoteo Lopez-Bacilio, of Madison, dead, according to the report. The driver of the semi-tractor was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The Dane County Medical Examiner said Lopez-Bacilio died as a result of injuries from the crash.
The Beltline between Verona Road and Fish Hatchery Road was closed for about 4 hours as officials investigated the crash.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls