TOWN OF MADISON, Wis. - One driver died and the other was injured in a head-on crash on the Beltline early Saturday, police said.
Town of Madison police said officers and Dane County sheriff's deputies responded at 1:42 a.m. to a report of a crash on the eastbound Beltline near Todd Drive.
Witnesses told police a car was headed the wrong way on the east Beltline and hit a semi tractor-trailer head-on.
When first responders arrived, they found the driver of the car, 40-year-old Timoteo Lopez-Bacilio, of Madison, dead, according to the report. The driver of the semi-tractor was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The Dane County Medical Examiner said Lopez-Bacilio died as a result of injuries from the crash.
The Beltline between Verona Road and Fish Hatchery Road was closed for about 4 hours as officials investigated the crash.
- Census Bureau estimates show Madison continues to grow
- Missed opportunities: The irony of overscheduling
- Intruders prompt police to warn residents to check garage doors
- Wisconsin man among families suing government to identify remains of unknown soldiers
- Officers target seat belt use over holiday weekend
- Man sentenced for 13th drunken driving conviction