LINDINA TOWNSHIP, Wis. - Firefighters responding to a garage fire at a home Tuesday discovered a body.
The Mauston Fire Department was dispatched at about 10:30 a.m. to a garage fire on Dlask Road in Lindina Township, according to a news release from the Juneau County Sheriff's Office.
Firefighters found heavy fire coming from the garage area of the home, and the New Lisbon and Elroy fire departments were called to assist.
The Mauston Fire Department said the fire spread from the garage to the home, and both are considered a total loss.
Mauston firefighters found a body inside the home, according to the news release.
Sheriff's officials on Wednesday identified the victim as Carl J. Stromley, 80.
Authorities said the preliminary cause of death is smoke inhalation.
The fire is being investigated by the Juneau County Sheriff's Office, Juneau County Coroner's Office, the Wisconsin State Fire Marshall's Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1