LINDINA TOWNSHIP, Wis. - Firefighters responding to a garage fire at a home Tuesday discovered a body.
The Mauston Fire Department was dispatched at about 10:30 a.m. to a garage fire on Dlask Road in Lindina Township, according to a news release from the Juneau County Sheriff's Office.
Firefighters found heavy fire coming from the garage area of the home, and the New Lisbon and Elroy fire departments were called to assist.
The Mauston Fire Department said the fire spread from the garage to the home, and both are considered a total loss.
Mauston firefighters found a body inside the home, according to the news release.
Sheriff's officials on Wednesday identified the victim as Carl J. Stromley, 80.
Authorities said the preliminary cause of death is smoke inhalation.
The fire is being investigated by the Juneau County Sheriff's Office, Juneau County Coroner's Office, the Wisconsin State Fire Marshall's Office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Vehicles, building hit by bullets in Fitchburg
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm