BAYFIELD, Wis. - Authorities have identified the two men who died when they broke through ice while snowmobiling on Lake Superior off Madeline Island.
The victims were 30-year-old Joshua Reynolds and 38-year-old Mark Backes, both of La Pointe.
Authorities said the two men apparently were riding on a single snowmobile when they left Bayfield about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, bound for La Pointe on Madeline Island. They were reported overdue and missing about 12 hours later.
The Duluth News Tribune (http://bit.ly/120f5oU) reports one of the men was found in open water about 10 a.m. Thursday. Rescue crews found the body of the second victim about 1 p.m.
The snowmobile was found partially submerged in the area of the South Channel.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK