Members of the Oak Creek Sikh (seek) temple were among the guests at a White House event honoring the founder of Sikhism.
The temple president and five relatives of the dead and injured visited Washington on Tuesday. First lady Mitchell Obama offered consoling words and hugged family members, just as she did in Oak Creek following the August massacre.
Rajwant Singh chairs the Sikh Council on Religion and Education. He also attended and thanked Obama for her support of the Sikh community.
A white supremacist killed six Sikh worshippers at the temple and injured four other people before taking his own life.
Among those killed was the former temple president. His son couldn't go to Washington because he's preparing to take his father's ashes to India next week.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls