Members of the Oak Creek Sikh (seek) temple were among the guests at a White House event honoring the founder of Sikhism.
The temple president and five relatives of the dead and injured visited Washington on Tuesday. First lady Mitchell Obama offered consoling words and hugged family members, just as she did in Oak Creek following the August massacre.
Rajwant Singh chairs the Sikh Council on Religion and Education. He also attended and thanked Obama for her support of the Sikh community.
A white supremacist killed six Sikh worshippers at the temple and injured four other people before taking his own life.
Among those killed was the former temple president. His son couldn't go to Washington because he's preparing to take his father's ashes to India next week.
- No injuries reported in burst of afternoon gunfire in residential neighborhood
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'