BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. - Lake Wazee beach in Jackson County will remain closed through the weekend while health officials determine what made dozens of swimmers sick.
The county's health officer, Christine Hovell, says the likely cause of contamination found in the water at the popular beach is norovirus. It's a contagious infection that causes flu-like symptoms.
Samples from some of the sick swimmers are being tested at the State Lab of Hygiene. Health officials will test the beach water again on Monday. Hovell said the hot temperatures and sunlight will help destroy contaminants in the water.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK