OSHKOSH, Wis. - Investigators found no working smoke alarms in either apartment of an Oshkosh duplex where a fire killed a woman and injured two other people.
Fire officials say four other people in the lower unit of the duplex escaped the fire Wednesday night. WLUK-TV reports two people in the upper unit jumped from second-story windows before firefighters arrived.
Firefighters climbed up their ladders to reach the third person upstairs. That person was taken to a hospital and later died. Police identify her as 25-year-old Theresa Schmitz of Oshkosh. The two other upstairs residents are hospitalized in stable condition.
The four family members downstairs were treated at the scene.
After an investigation by the Oshkosh Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal's office, the cause of the fire is undetermined.
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- MFD: 1 suffers minor injury in rollover crash on John Nolen Drive
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police