MADISON, Wis. - No one was injured in a chemical spill at Oscar Mayer on Madison's north side Wednesday afternoon, according to a release from the Madison Fire Department.
The Madison Fire Department Hazardous Incident Team was dispatched to Oscar Mayer Foods at 910 Mayer Avenue just before 3 p.m. for reports of a chemical reaction, officials said.
An employee reported accidentally mixing lactic acid and sodium nitrate, according to the release. The employee moved the 35 gallon barrel of the mixture outside of the factory and called 911.
After researching the materials, crews determined the materials react when mixed together, producing heat and acid fumes, officials said.
HIT team members neutralized the reaction using soda ash while wearing protective clothing and air packs, according to the release. Firefighters also monitored the air quality during the incident.
The neutralized mixture was contained in a plastic holding tank, and Oscar Mayer officials contacted a disposal contractor to remove the material, authorities said.
- Trump, Walker discuss dairy dispute in Wisconsin
- 6-year-old watching TV nearly struck by bullet, Madison police say
- Man injured in gunfire incident at Verona Road gas station
- Student stabbed, seriously wounded at Kenosha high school
- Sauk County man wins $53,000 lottery prize
- Bullets hit 2 apartment buildings, police say