MADISON, Wis. - A new privately funded live music venue is coming to Madison by 2015, according to Frank Productions.
Frank Productions announced plans Thursday to build the venue in the 1000 north block of East Washington Avenue.
According to Fred Frank, chief operating officer of Frank Productions, the currently nameless venue will be uniquely Madison.
"We intend to create a space that's both easy and exciting for artists, as well as a venue that the Madison community can support and be proud of. We want the venue to become a Madison destination."
"This concert venue could bring a great deal of dynamism and excitement to the area," said Ledell Zellers, Alder, District 2. "I'm encouraged that a local, multi-generational family business is interested in making this large of an investment in the near-east side."
Zellers said neighbors will be involved in the planning process.
The 46,000-square foot venue will hold an audience of 2,000 and be flexible enough to accommodate more intimate performances. The facility could also be used to host corporate events, community events and private parties.
A parking facility is planned for the same block to accommodate visitors to the venue.
Work is expected to begin this winter.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns