MADISON, Wis. - A new privately funded live music venue is coming to Madison by 2015, according to Frank Productions.
Frank Productions announced plans Thursday to build the venue in the 1000 north block of East Washington Avenue.
According to Fred Frank, chief operating officer of Frank Productions, the currently nameless venue will be uniquely Madison.
"We intend to create a space that's both easy and exciting for artists, as well as a venue that the Madison community can support and be proud of. We want the venue to become a Madison destination."
"This concert venue could bring a great deal of dynamism and excitement to the area," said Ledell Zellers, Alder, District 2. "I'm encouraged that a local, multi-generational family business is interested in making this large of an investment in the near-east side."
Zellers said neighbors will be involved in the planning process.
The 46,000-square foot venue will hold an audience of 2,000 and be flexible enough to accommodate more intimate performances. The facility could also be used to host corporate events, community events and private parties.
A parking facility is planned for the same block to accommodate visitors to the venue.
Work is expected to begin this winter.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need