MADISON, Wis. - Kristen Smith was charged Wednesday with a new indictment that sets a mandatory minimum penalty for allegedly kidnapping 5-day-old Kayden Powell in February, according to a release.
Smith, 31, was originally charged with kidnapping an individual younger than 18 and transporting the victim in interstate commerce from Wisconsin to Iowa, but the new indictment confirms the victim was under the age of 18.
Authorities said Smith took her half-sister's 5-day-old son from a Beloit home. Kayden was found alive in a bin outside an Iowa gas station 29 hours later in freezing temperatures.
She was arrested in West Branch, Iowa, on Feb. 6 and has been in custody since then, officials said. Her trial has been set for July 28.
If convicted, Smith faces a mandatory minimum penalty of 25 years and a maximum penalty of life in federal prison, according to the release.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth