MADISON, Wis. - A new exhibit honoring Wisconsin's mining history will open Saturday at Henry Vilas Zoo.
The zoo said the Wisconsin Heritage Exhibit will honor the state's proud mining history with story walls and will feature Bucky Badger and sandhill cranes. It will provide opportunities for fun and education, such as a crawl-in badger den, called a sett, that will allow guests to get up close to the badgers.
The new exhibit will honor the long relationship and history shared by the zoo and University of Wisconsin-Madison. The zoo became the home of the university's original Bucky Badger after the live mascot proved too fierce to patrol the sidelines at football games.
Zoo officials said that the new young Bucky is becoming acclimated to his new home, and he'll soon be available for guests to see in the exhibit or to meet at Vilas' various educational programs.
- Richland Center man faces OWI, drug charges
- Four injured in early-morning shooting
- Crews battle roof fire at McFarland cold storage facility
- Janesville high school holds safety workshop for girls
- James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield dies at 73
- Despite warm temps, Winter Fest, Polar Plunge continue as scheduled