MARINETTE, Wis. - The U.S. Navy has celebrated the keel laying of the future USS Little Rock.
The traditional ceremony took place Thursday at the Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin, where the Littoral Combat Ship is under construction.
During the ceremony, ship sponsor Janee Bonner authenticated the keel by having her signature welded into it.
The keel is usually the first part of a ship's hull to be constructed. Laying the keel is often marked with a ceremonial event.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need