MARINETTE, Wis. - The U.S. Navy has celebrated the keel laying of the future USS Little Rock.
The traditional ceremony took place Thursday at the Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin, where the Littoral Combat Ship is under construction.
During the ceremony, ship sponsor Janee Bonner authenticated the keel by having her signature welded into it.
The keel is usually the first part of a ship's hull to be constructed. Laying the keel is often marked with a ceremonial event.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say