MADISON, Wis. - An annual bike rally and convention held in a different U.S. city each year is returning to Madison for its fifth time, the city visitor's center said.
The Gold Wing Road Riders Association will hold its annual Wing-Ding convention and trade show at the Alliant Energy Center next July to Madison, according to the Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau on Wednesday.
Wing-Ding 2014 will take place July 2-5 with the theme of "Light Up the Lakes," the visitor's bureau said.
Local leaders said the return of the rally-goers will bring a boost to the local economy.
"We estimate that over the five times that the Gold Wingers have come to our community, they've contributed about $11 million during the days they were here, which is a huge, huge number," said Deb Archer with the Greater Madison Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Madison was host to the rally in 2003 for the group's 25th anniversary, visitor's bureau President Deb Archer said.
"Most of us are a fun group. We like to get out and have a good time. We're not over rambunctious like some of the other motorcycle groups and actually, the Gold Wing is one of the largest in the country and I think even in the world," said Raymond Teschke from Horicon.
The group will be among the first to use the new pavilions at the Alliant Energy Center where construction begins this fall.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets