MADISON, Wis. - The name of the woman killed in an officer-involved shooting on Madison's east side early Sunday morning has been released by the Dane County Medical Examiner.
Ashley DiPiazza, 26, of Madison, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting in the 1100 block of MacArthur Road, according to a release.
DiPiazza died from firearm related injuries and additional testing is underway, officials said.
Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said officers were dispatched to a call in the 1100 block of MacArthur Road around 1:20 a.m. for reports of a domestic disturbance.
A man told a 911 dispatcher that he left an apartment after DiPiazza armed herself with a handgun, according to a release from MPD. Officers made contact with DiPiazza, and she displayed a handgun.
Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said officers attempted to talk with DiPiazza, but there was an "imminent threat of death or great bodily harm."
Two officers fired their service weapons, officials said.
No officers were injured, and the man who called police sustained non-life-threatening injuries, Koval said.
The officers involved will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is being led by the state Department of Criminal Investigation, officials said.
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely understood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam