MADISON, Wis. - Middleton city officials have opened four cooling shelters. And they're not alone.
With the weather predicted to be in the 90s with high heat indices for the next several days, city officials said it is critical for everyone to understand the dangerous effects of the heat.
Middleton officials said its cooling shelters will be open for as long as the heat is taking its toll.
Middleton's cooling centers are:
- The Middleton Senior Center, which will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The center is located at 7448 Hubbard Avenue.
- The Middleton City Hall, which is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The City Hall is located at 7426 Hubbard Avenue.
- The Middleton Police Department, which is open 24 hours daily and is located at 7341 Donna Drive.
- The Middleton Fire Station is also open 24 hours daily and is located at 7600 University Avenue.
Cooling centers will also be be open in Columbia County, with temperatures predicted to be in the 90s all week.
The city of Columbus will turn its senior center into a cooling shelter starting on Monday. The senior center is located at 125 N. Dickason Blvd. The center will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
City officials say the cooling shelter is open to anyone who needs protection from the extreme heat.
Another shelter will be open at the Poynette Village hall. That center will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. starting Monday and going through Friday.
Officials ask everyone to bring their own water and food. Televisions will be available, but people are encouraged to bring books, games, and cards.
No pets will be allowed in either shelter.
A cooling center will also open in Portage at the Silver Lake Community Church. That's located at 101 Hiawatha Ave. The shelter will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.
In Sauk County, officials are opening at least 3 cooling shelters on Monday.
A part of the historic courthouse in Baraboo will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The building is located at 510 Broadway Ct.
The Sauk County Health Care Center in Reedsburg will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The center is located at 1051 Clark St.
In Wisconsin Dells, the Kilbourn public library will be turned into a shelter from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday. On Friday, the library will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The library is located at 620 Elm St.
Officials said these Sauk County cooling centers will be open until further notice.
- Janesville family displaced after house fire
- Shooting on Madison's east side leave four injured, Koval concerned
- Wholesome Wave grant helps Madison residents access healthy food
- Firefighters investigating cause of McFarland fire
- Milwaukee police seek driver after fatal hit-and-run
- 2 confirmed dead after house fire in northeast Wisconsin